2019 Chili Cook Off
saturday october 12th
Please read the rules and guidelines section carefully!
online sign up will end sunday october 6th
cookers may sign up online and on location day of festival
Fall Chili cook off entry form with rules & info
some rules and guidelines
GENERAL RULES & REGULATIONS
• Set up/Check in time for competitors: 8:00 am
• Head cook meeting: 9:00 am
• Space Locations are on a first come, first serve basis.
• NO parking on the grass area at the triangle. Parking (courtesy of Central Texas Youth Ballet) is available in the vacant lot at the corner of Mercer Street and Ranch Road 12.
• ONLY gas grills, propane stoves or electric appliances allowed for cooking and preparing salsa.
• NO CHARCOAL OR WOOD FIRES.
• NO glass containers/bottles.
• Each team must have a head cook.
• Head cooks must attend the Head Cook meeting to receive judging containers.
• Chili meat and Salsa ingredients will be inspected after the head cook’s meeting.
• NO vendors are allowed to enter the contests – individual cooks only.
• Teams must supply their own equipment, supplies and ingredients.
• All grease drippings must be contained and disposed of properly.
• Tip jars are allowed for samples – food MAY NOT be sold.
• Teams must supply their own water and tent canopies for shade.
• Electricity will be available.
• The Head Cook is responsible for all cleanup of the team’s space.
• The Head Cook is responsible for the conduct of their team and their guests.
• The Cook-off Club will retain 15% of the salsa entry fees prior to splitting the cash pot among winners.
• The Cook-off Club officers reserve the right to make additional regulations as situations warrant.
• Decisions of the officers shall be final.
• Excessive use of alcoholic beverages will be grounds for disqualification.
• All rules will be enforced and refusal to abide by them will results in immediate disqualification and eviction from the grounds with no refund of fees paid.
CHILI COOK-OFF AND SALSA CONTEST RULES
• NO pre-seasoning or marinating of meat allowed until after inspection.
• NO commercial chili mixes or canned chili allowed.
• NO beans or other fillers allowed in chili.
• All salsa ingredients must be chopped and blended on site. Chunky pico-type salsa is not permitted.
• NO bottle or pre-mixed salsas allowed.
• NO garnishes allowed in chili or salsa.
• Chili will be judged on aroma, consistency, color, taste and aftertaste.
• Salsa must be tomato based, no green salsas permitted.
• Salsa will be judged on appearance, flavor, consistency and aftertaste.
PUMPKIN DECORATING RULES
• Pumpkin inspection will begin at 8:30 am
• Hollowing and/or pre-carving of pumpkins may NOT occur until after pumpkins have been inspected.
• Teams must supply their own pumpkins.
• Pumpkins will be judged on detail, design, uniqueness, attraction and materials.